12V / 24V Power & Distribution > 12V lithium batteries
LiFePO4 lithium batteries are becoming more and more popular for anyone who relies on batteries to run the appliances in a motorhome, caravan, special vehicle or boat. The reason is that these batteries have virtually none of the disadvantages of traditional lead-acid batteries:
- Fast charging - 50 Amps - 100 Amps+ depending on model and installation method
- Safe fast discharging, making them ideal for use with inverters
- Can be discharged by 95% without adverse effects
- No significant drop-off in voltage even when battery is heavily discharged
- Low self-discharge rate - varies according to model and temperature but 3% - 10% on average
- 2,000 - 4,000 estimated cycles depending on depth of discharge and model
- Low weight - approx. 50% of an equivalent lead-acid battery with similar Ah rating
- No maintenance
- Completely safe - no toxic fumes, corrosive liquids or fire risk
- Can be mounted horizontally or vertically
IMPORTANT!! Installation of any LiFePO4 lithium battery is possible in most vehicles and boats that use lead-acid leisure / auxiliary batteries. However, if the battery is to work efficiently and safely for its estimated lifetime, it's essential that it is installed correctly. This means that the charging voltages of the alternator, the mains charger and a solar panel - if fitted - are appropriate for the battery. If they are not, the battery can be quickly damaged.
If the vehicle is fitted with a "smart alternator", it will be necessary to fit a suitable battery to battery (DC-DC) charger as well.
Or, read it or download it as a PDF by clicking on the PDF icon below.
Ease of Use
We have been using our 3Lion batteries on a full time basis since we they were fitted by Roadpro around 9 months ago. The benefits can be summarised as follows:
1) They provide much greater power reserves, we no longer worry about the lights going out when not using hook up
2) They are much better when powering our inverter than our old lead acid batteries which suffer large losses when used in this way
3) We have already saved hundreds of pounds because we can manage without hook up indefinitely and don’t need to pay hook up charges
4) The batteries can be recharged very quickly by running the engine or by using solar panels
5) Although they are more expensive, 3Lion batteries have a life expectancy which is over ten times more than the Banner batteries we replaced