12V / 24V Power & Distribution > 12V Lithium Leisure Batteries
LiFePO4 lithium batteries are becoming more and more popular for anyone who relies on batteries to run the appliances in a motorhome, caravan, special vehicle or boat. At RoadPro, we have a choice of lithium batteries to cater for just about any requirement. Our range includes models from 20Ah to 150Ah, covering most applications.
One of the reasons why lithium batteries are becoming so popular is that they have virtually none of the disadvantages of traditional lead-acid batteries. Here's why:
- Fast charging - 50 Amps - 100 Amps+ depending on model and installation method
- Safe fast discharging, making them ideal for use with inverters
- Can be discharged by 95% without adverse effects
- No significant drop-off in voltage even when the battery is heavily discharged
- Low self-discharge rate - varies according to model and temperature but 3% - 10% on average
- 2,000 - 5,000 estimated cycles depending on model and depth of discharge*
- Low weight - approx. 50% of an equivalent lead-acid battery with a similar Ah rating
- No maintenance
- Completely safe - no toxic fumes, corrosive liquids or fire risk
- Can be mounted horizontally or vertically
*The life of a lithium battery will vary according to how it's used and the most important factor is how often and how quickly it is heavily discharged. Two identical batteries can have dramatically different useful lives: one that's heavily discharged on a daily basis may start to lose efficiency after a few months whereas one that is only lightly discharged every now and again, could last for many years. We calculate that, for a typical motorhomer or caravanner, a good-quality 100Ah lithium battery that has been correctly installed could, in theory, last for 20 years or more.
Smaller 3Lion models, such as L-20 / L-30 / L-60 can be connected in series to give 24V. Larger models supplied after July 1st, 2020 including L-100 / L-100B /L100-P / L-150, are also able to work in series to give 24V. Please check with us before installing batteries in this way.
IMPORTANT!! Installation of any LiFePO4 lithium battery is possible in most vehicles and boats that use lead-acid leisure / auxiliary batteries. However, if the battery is to work efficiently and safely for the maximum length of time, it's essential that it is installed correctly. This means that the charging voltages of the alternator, the mains charger and a solar panel (if fitted) are appropriate for the battery with specific Lithium/LiFePO4 settings. If they are not, the battery can be damaged.
Additionally, a temperature sensor should be used with all charging sources.
If the vehicle is fitted with a "smart alternator" and you want your battery to be charged efficiently, it's essential to use a suitable battery to battery (DC-DC) charger.